palawa kani names for two waterfalls
Two waterfalls in Tasmania which don’t have official names can be given palawa kani names.
One is on the foothills of kunanyi/Mt Wellington, Hobart.
(tu ree kee nah) (tru wah lah).
(literally – ‘waterfall mountain’ as the palawa kani word order is the reverse of English).
press play to hear pronunciation:
The second is in Punchbowl Reserve, Launceston.
(loy nee ) (mu ngah lee nah).
Raining Rock [Waterfall]
because the falls only ...
waranta tangara takariliya ngini, lungkana pilri-ta.
We mourn all our ancestral dead murdered at Cape Grim.
Timeline of atrocities at pilri/Cape Grim from the early 1800s
From the earliest years of the invasion and settlement of north-western Tasmania, dreadful atrocities were committed against Aboriginal people. These led to the massacre at Cape Grim on 10 February 1828.
Six Aboriginal women recounted some of these brutalities to George Augustus Robinson when he visited the camp they lived in with sealers on the NW coast directly ...
Urgent Call for changes to the Relics Act
THE DESTRUCTION OF TASMANIAN ABORIGINAL HERITAGE CONTINUES
The Mercury, May 26 2016:
Ancient Aboriginal cave art defiled
The vandalism of two hand stencils by the River Derwent has prompted Aboriginal leaders to call for tougher penalties for the destruction of indigenous heritage.
ABC news, May 26th 2016:
Vandals deface 8,000-year-old Indigenous art in Tasmania
"The Government knows the 1975 legislation is outdated and inadequate and Minister Groom is liaising closely with the Aboriginal Heritage Council on the ...
Click here to view the Mercury article